The new Loopy Academy Semester starts today, and we can’t wait to see your project photos start rolling in! We’ll get right to the assignments, then will give more details below.
What is Loopy Academy?
It’s a program we started in 2014 to help knitters learn new things through semester challenges. Each year is meant to build upon the last year, although you are welcome to jump in and start with any year or semester that you’d like. You might find some assignments that are outside your comfort zone – but that’s one of the great things about Loopy Academy. You get to stretch and try things you may not have done before! (Our Loopy Academy for Sewing started in 2015, so we’re a year behind with the sewists.)
Senior Year Spring Semester for Knitters (yardage requirement: 275 yds. or more per project)
- Sweater or Vest (can be child-sized, as long as 275 yds. are used). Click here for some options for sweaters.
- Project that has the Brioche Stitch in it. Click here for some options using Brioche Stitch.
- Project that uses Laceweight yarn. Click here for some options using Laceweight yarn.
- The Ravelry links are a starting point. Please be sure that the pattern you pick does meet the yardage and Academy requirements!
Junior Year Spring Semester for Sewists (yardage requirement: 3 yds. minimum per project)
- Crazy Quilt or Crazy Wall Hanging (including embroidery stitching). Here are some crazy quilt ideas from Pinterest.
- Project that includes a linen or linen blend. Here are some linen quilt ideas on Pinterest (but of course you can make a linen garment, too.)
- Project with curved or angled seams. Here are some curved quilt block ideas on Pinterest.
Here’s how it works:
- Purchase your yarn or fabric supplies from The Loopy Ewe, any time today (February 1) through the end of May for the semester you are doing this spring. You don’t have to purchase all three project supplies at once, and you don’t have to officially sign up. But do leave us an order note on your order for Loopy Academy, so we know you’re one of our students this semester!
- Start and finish all three challenges for the semester between 2/1/18 and 5/31/18 and upload pictures of them to our Loopy Academy photo galleries on our website by 5/31/18.
- When you have successfully finished both semesters of a particular year (Freshman or Sophomore or Junior or Senior), you will be awarded a finishing prize at the end!
Q: I am new to Loopy Academy. Can I start with this Senior Year Spring Semester or do I have to go in order?
A: You don’t have to go in order. You can do any semester you want to. It’s totally up to you. Any time you do complete both semesters of a year (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) you earn a fun prize from us.
Q: What if I want to do more than one semester at the same time?
A: You can do that as well!
Q: I completed one of the three project assignments last fall and then got busy with other stuff. Can I finish the other two this semester and have it marked complete?
A: To get a complete for the semester, all of the projects need to be done in the same semester, with yarn or fabric purchased during that semester. Getting them done during the 4 month semester time period is part of the challenge, just like school. If you don’t finish a semester, you need to start over with new yarn and new projects. (Luckily there is no limit to the number of do-overs you’re allowed!)
Q: I am going to do this semester, but then I’m busy in the fall and won’t be able to do Loopy Academy again until a year from now. Do you have to do it every semester?
A: Nope. You can hop in and hop out as it works with your schedule. We’ll keep track of which semesters you have completed so we know when we owe you prizes.
Q: Is there a way to participate using my stash yarn or stash fabric?
A: For Loopy Academy, we do require you to purchase the project yarn/fabric from us during the semester you’re completing.
Q. I need more pattern ideas. Where can I get them?
A. Log onto Ravelry and pop over to the Loopy Groupies. We have a thread for Loopy Academy so you can talk about what you’re thinking and get some new ideas.
Not into Loopy Academy? Be sure to check out our Great Loopy Knitting Challenge and Great Loopy Sewing Challenge, which runs from January through May. (Yes, you can double-dip and find projects that count for both, to get more points!)
Have fun shopping for your school supplies, and we’ll get your orders shipped out as quickly as we can!
Sheri and The Loopy Ewe Crew