The Monday Update is ready for you, but I will keep it brief because we have all of our Loopy Academy information in this post, too! Click over via the links to see all of the color options for each yarn. Today we added in:
Sweet Georgia’s Bulletproof Sock – Durable, beautiful and warm, this fingering weight yarn is 50% Superwash Merino, 20% Nylon, 15% Kid Mohair and 15% Silk. 20 gorgeous colors!
Stonehedge Fiber Company’s Shepherd’s Wool Worsted – Popular for sweaters, vests, and warm shawls, scarves and cowls, this worsted weight yarn is 100% wool. It is also feltable, so hand wash and hand dry the sweaters, but toss it in the washing machine if you’re making a felted bag.
The Fiber Company’s Tundra – You’ll want to make cowls, hats, mittens and scarves with this wonderful bulky weight material that is 60% Baby Alpaca, 30% Merino Wool and 10% Silk. Warm and quick to knit up.
The Fiber Company’s Road to China Light – Another yarn that you will want close to your skin. This sport weight yarn is 65% Baby Alpaca, 15% Silk, 10% Camel and 10% Cashmere. See why? Luscious.
The Fiber Company’s Canopy Fingering – These 200 yard skeins of fingering weight yarn are 50% Baby Alpaca, 30% Merino Wool, and 20% Bamboo, making them soft and silky and wam. The bamboo adds a little pop of sheen and gives it an extra pretty drape.
It’s time to start in on Second Semester of Loopy Academy! We so enjoy seeing your projects and watching your creativity bloom as you work through the assignments. We’re ready for Second Semester – are you?
What is Loopy Academy? A virtual program for trying new things, developing new skills, making new friends, and participating in contests. It’s easy, simple and fun!
How does it work? Each semester we’ll give you 3 project assignments. You can do all three at once, or one every month, or do them all at the end of the semester. As long as you get them all done within the same semester, you get credit for completing it.
Just like college, you can jump in any time. Busy this spring? You can come back and join in next fall. Lots of free time right now? Join us and do a semester or two at once! We have planned out projects/skills/challenges for Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior years, and we’ll roll them out one semester at a time. Again, just like college, the projects get a little more challenging as you go along and build upon your skills. You can take a semester or year off any time that you need to. Just start back up with us when it works with your schedule.
If you’re ready to jump into Second Semester Sophomore Year Yarn, here is your assignment!
1. A project that includes both a solid/tonal yarn and a multi-colored yarn in the same project. (Ideas – multi-colored hats with a solid brim, multi-colored shawl with a solid border, multi-colored socks with solid heels and toes, multi-colored scarf or cowl with solid edging, multi-colored mittens or gloves with a solid cuff, etc.)
3. A pair of socks, knit top down or toe up, whichever you are least familiar with. If you’re comfortable with both ways, then you get to choose which one you do for this assignment. (Here is the search I did for sock patterns 225 yards and above on Ravelry.)
New to Loopy Academy and wanting to start with one of the other yarn semester options instead? Here are the requirements for those:
1. Cowl in a multi-colored (defined as 2 or more distinct colors in the same skein) or self-striping Fingering weight colorway
2. Hat from a designer new to you, in a Sport or DK weight
3. Mittens in a solid or semi-solid colorway in a Worsted weight
1. Striping – knit a project that has stripes of two or more colors somewhere in the design. (Not self-striping yarn.)
2. Felting/Fulling – knit and felt/full a project of your choice.
3. Slipped Stitches – knit a project that includes slipped stitches in the pattern.
1. Pillow in a worsted or bulky weight yarn.
2. A project that has textured stitches in the body of the pattern.
3. A project that has cables in the pattern.
If you’re ready to jump into Second Semester Freshman Year Fabric, here is your assignment!
New: Freshman Year, Second Semester Fabric Assignments (The first two projects need to use at least 2 yards of fabric. The pincushion needs to include at least 2 different fabric patterns or colors, but has no specific yardage requirement):
1. PJ or Lounge Pants, capri length or longer.
2. Table runner from all solid fabrics (must include quilting).
3. Pincushion that includes at least two different fabric patterns or colors.
New to Loopy Academy and wanting to start with the first fabric semester option instead? Here are the requirements for that:
1. Drawstring Bag or set of bags, depending on size
2. Set of 4 Placemats (these do not have to include quilting, but of course you can quilt them if you’d like to)
3. Seasonal Wall Hanging (including some quilting)
Individual photos of each of the three assignments must be uploaded to our Loopy Photo Gallery on our website by the end of the semester, in order to get credit for finishing. For this semester, that means May 31, 2016.
Yarn and fabric for all Loopy Academy projects needs to be purchased from The Loopy Ewe during the semester in which you’re participating, but they don’t need to all be purchased at the same time. For this semester that means purchases February 1, 2016 through May 31, 2016.
Q: I am new to Loopy Academy. Can I start with Sophomore Second Semester or do I have to go in order?
A: You don’t have to go in order. You can start in with Sophomore First, or you can go back and start with Freshman First, or you can do Freshman Second. It’s totally up to you. Any time you do complete both semesters of a year (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) you earn a fun prize from us.
Q: What if I want to do more than one semester at the same time?
A: You can do that as well (you over-achiever, you)!
Q: I completed one project assignment last fall and then got busy with other stuff. Can I finish the other two this semester and have it marked complete?
A: To get a complete for the semester, all of the projects need to be done in the same semester, with yarn or fabric purchased during that semester. Getting them done during the 4 month semester time period is part of the challenge, just like school. If you don’t finish a semester, you need to start over with new yarn and new projects. (Luckily there is no limit to the number of re-do’s you’re allowed!)
Q: I am going to do this semester, but then I’m busy in the fall and won’t be able to do Loopy Academy again until a year from now. Do you have to do it every semester?
A: Nope. You can hop in and hop out as it works with your schedule. We’ll keep track of which semesters you have completed so we know when we owe you prizes.
Q: Is there a way to participate using my stash yarn or stash fabric?
A: For Loopy Academy, we do require you to purchase the project yarn/fabric from us during the semester you’re completing.
Q. I need more pattern ideas. Where can I get them?
A. Log onto Ravelry and pop over to the Loopy Groupies. We have threads for LA Freshman Yarn, LA Sophomore Yarn, and LA Freshman Fabric so you can talk about what you’re thinking and get some new ideas!
We can’t wait to knit along with you and see your finished projects by the end of the semester!
Sheri and The Loopy Ewe Crew
One additional note – Due to another significant increase in postage prices in January, we did have to raise our U.S. free shipping amount to $100. We very much dislike postal rate hikes. We will continue to ship your orders out within 24 hours using the Priority Shipping option (perhaps a little longer during occasional snowstorm craziness), so in most cases you can count on orders within 2-3 days in the U.S. We know that’s important to you. It’s important to us as well!