Did you ever attend summer camp when you were growing up? I went to camps in Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota in my early years and enjoyed all of them. In honor of summertime and camping, we’d like to invite you to Camp Loopy this summer! Here’s what you can expect:
No traveling to get here, no bugs, no tents and no camping fee.
– fun monthly project challenges
– a few various sales on “camping” equipment during the summer
– bonuses for completing your camping (knitting) projects
– camp contests, camp songs, camp stories, camp recipes, etc!
So – do you want to be a Camp Loopy Camper this summer? Our first Camping Project – “Campfire Nights” – starts soon!
Here are the specifics for your first project:
– knit between June 15 and July 15
– a two-color project in either a cape, a shawl, or a scarf. (Things that would keep you warm, when sitting around the campfire in the cool of the night. See ideas and links below.)
– you can get 20% off of the yarn for this project by adding “Camp Loopy” to the order notes and letting us know which yarn in that order you will be using for your project. We’ll adjust the cost down when we print your order. (Offer is good on any orders placed 6/3 – 6/10. Make sure that the discount does not take you below the free shipping amount on U.S. orders, if you’re going for free shipping.)
– for each project you finish on time (and upload a photo to the Loopy Gallery within two days of the end-date), we’ll double your Frequent Shopper Credits on that yarn purchase (if purchased 6/3 – 6/10). So if you spend $50 for yarn for the first project, we’ll add another $50 to your FSB total if you turn in a picture of the completed project by 7/17. (International Campers get an extra week, due to the time it takes for your yarn to get to you.) Remember, each time you accumulate $250 in orders here at The Loopy Ewe, you get a $25 Loopy Ewe credit in your account. This finishing bonus helps you to get there even faster!
– You can do one, two or all three of the projects that we’ll introduce this summer. As an added bonus, if you do complete all three (with photos uploaded by the due dates), we’ll send you a free Fall Project in September.** (1 skein of fingering weight yarn, plus a pattern of our choosing. And this isn’t going to be “what yarn can we get rid of” yarn. We don’t do that. We’re sending Wollmeise in these kits!)
(**Please note – you’re welcome to knit the projects using yarn from your stash and camp along with us. However, we’re unable to offer the Double Credits Finishing Bonus or the Free Fall Kit in those instances.)
Here are a few pattern ideas for your Campfire Nights project (although any two-color cape/shrug/shawl/scarf will qualify):
Winter’s Rhythm (I just finished this out of Three Irish Girls Cashmerino Worsted. Photo next week. Another good option – Cascade 220.)
Catkin (fingering weight)
Whippoorwill (fingering weight. I used Madtosh Merino Light.)
Daybreak (fingering weight)
Andrea’s Shawl (sport weight)
Ulmus (fingering weight)
Roma Shawl (fingering weight)
Cladonia (fingering weight)
Skewed Shawl (worsted weight)
Sedna’s Shawl (sport weight)
Or be creative and take one of your favorite one-color shawl/cape/shrug/scarf patterns and turn it into a two-color pattern. Maybe a ruffle in a different color? Or certain middle sections? I saw a couple Pamuya’s done up in two colors at our Spring Fling and they were so beautiful.
As the summer progresses, watch for:
Camp Loopy fun on the blog, special contests, project announcements as we go along, and a few surprises. The second Camping Project – “Hiking in the Mountains” – will run from 7/15 – 8/15, with more details about that in the July 1st blog post.
(Edit: For Q & A’s that have come up since this original post, please see the blog post I did here.)
Who wants to be a Camp Loopy Camper this summer?
I’m gong to do the daybreak I haven’t started mine from camp kip yet so this will get me into gear and the best thing I came in erson to buy the yarn this past week while on vacation. I can’t wait to get started.
Is it June 15th yet?!?!
Even though I missed the date for the discount, as long as I buy the yarn and knit the project, and post the pictures this month, does it still count?
OOO soo not fair. I’ve missed the boat. I just got this email today (/13/11) too late to even purchase yarn within the guidelines of the project,….much less get it here…..I’m not international, even though you can’t get here without passing Canadian water, air space or land. oh well. sounds like it would have been fun to camp in a bearless, mosquitoless setting. Don’t need the air-conditioning…its50 degrees.
I forgot to add my comment. I am in on Camp Loopy. I ordered my yarn and eagerly waiting to begin! 🙂
Just for fun, here’s my camping story, which is what my husband wanted to do on our honeymoon: http://spindyeknit.com/2008/02/now-for-the-skunks-turn/
OH!! I picked out my project but didn’t order the yarn in time for that discount!!! So should I wait now??? Darn it……..
I just surfed in from Facebook. What a great idea! I started the Scalene Scarf/Shawl by Carina Spenser with Malabrigo sock yarn in a teal/brown that I had in my stash. I love all the suggestions for the two-colorway shawls and can’t wait to try them all! I missed this discount and of course I can always use to add to my stash. Can’t wait to get in on the next Camp Loopy project. In the meantime, I’m going to be knitting right along with July 15th in my sites for completion.
Count me in! As soon as the yarn I ordered comes in, I’m with you all!
My yarn still isn’t here! I suspect it’s being held up by the volcanic eruptions which are grounding most planes for the South Island of New Zealand. I don’t think NZ Post has any idea just how stressful it is not having yarnie mail!
I placed an order for yarn – may I be in Camp Loopy this year? Thanks
The yarn I wanted came in after the order date but the colors were so worth it. I can still join, right??? Thanks for doing this Sheri! I needed just a littel nudge to knit this shawl and move the other projects to the side for the moment. 🙂
I’m a bit late to the game but I’m thinking I need to join this. There’s some lovely suggestions and now I think I need to scour some yarn choices.
I came in this late and just ordered my yarn today but that’s okay. I will just have to knit like crazy when my yarn comes. I signed up in a cabin on Ravelry, do I need to do anything further to sign up for camp?
4 rows to go! Yeehah!!!
I’m hoping it’s not too late to join in on the fun! I’m planning on using the February kit I ordered from you for my first camping project. I’m excited to knit the Breath of fresh air pattern with that beautiful Spring yarn!
Oh, what fun!! I could not wait to see what was up for the second project. I just placed the order for my yarn (plus a few more goodies, just because!). I ran through the patterns that I have on hand and decided that I am going to do Bella’s Mittens by Marielle Henault. I have been drooling over that chunky cable since last year. And here is the perfect incentive to get them done! Now, all I have to do is wait for my yarn and July 15th. Oh, and I still need to finish my Daybreak… Thanks so much, Sheri! This was such a lovely idea!