Welcome back to the school year, and Loopy Academy! We had so much fun with Loopy Academy last year and saw so many beautiful finished projects. We can’t wait to see what you come up with this year. (And be sure to see the contest info at the bottom of the post. You could win a $50 Loopy Scholarship!)
What is Loopy Academy? A virtual program for trying new things, developing new skills, making new friends, and participating in contests. It’s easy, simple and fun!
How does it work? We started last year with Freshman Year, First and Second Semesters. This fall, we’re introducing Sophomore Year, First Semester (plus the Freshman Year First Semester Fabric Version, see below.) We’ll give you 3 project assignments. You can do all three at once, or one every month, or do them all at the end of the semester. As long as you get them all done within the same semester, you get credit for completing it.
Just like college, you can jump in any time. Busy this fall? You can start in February, after our January Winter break. Or next fall. We have planned out projects/skills/challenges for Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and Senior years, and we’ll roll them out one semester at a time. Again, just like college, the projects get a little more challenging as you go along and build upon your skills. You can take a semester or year off any time that you need to. Just start back up with us when it works with your schedule.
If you’re ready to jump into Sophomore Year, here are your assignments!
1. Pillow in a worsted or bulky weight yarn. Some pattern links to get you started: Whistler Pillow, Winslow, Independence Pillow, Sheep in the Meadow, Fox Cushion, Smushion, Slip Stitch Game Cushion, Hyland Cushions, Stash Buster Cushion, Chunky Fair Aisle Cushion, and Nordic Holiday Pillow.
2. A project that has textured stitches in the body of the pattern. (Textured meaning that it changes the surface from the flatness of just garter or stockinette. Raised ridges, raised stitches, open lace stitches, etc.) Some pattern links to get you started: 3 Color Cashmere Cowl, Adama, Namesake, Hazeline, Geology Shawl, Zilver, Rounded Hem Pullover, Metalouse, Brucie, Hinagiku Hat, Interview With the Vampire, and Great Divide Shawl.
3. A project that has cables in the pattern. Some pattern links to get you started: Forest Park Cowl, Cable Madness, French Cancan, Braidsmaid, Hogwarts Express, Black Cherry Lambic, City Creek Cowl, Knotted Pine, Ishneich, Elementary Watson Socks, Love Me Two Times, and Palindrome.
Project Bags on Sale!! Need a new
book bag project bag for school? We’ve marked them 20% off for the next week (today through Wednesday, September 9th). If you’re like me, the start of a new year means school supplies, and a new project bag must top the list. (Or maybe that’s just me. You know how I like project bags!)
For those of you who are new to Loopy Academy and instead want to start with one of the Freshmen year semesters, here are the requirements for those:
1. Cowl in a multi-colored (defined as 2 or more distinct colors in the same skein) or self-striping Fingering weight colorway
2. Hat from a designer new to you, in a Sport or DK weight
3. Mittens in a solid or semi-solid colorway in a Worsted weight
1. Striping – knit a project that has stripes of two or more colors somewhere in the design. (Not self-striping yarn.)
2. Felting/Fulling – knit and felt/full a project of your choice.
3. Slipped Stitches – knit a project that includes slipped stitches in the pattern.
And for all of our fabric customers, we promised we’d start Loopy Academy for sewists this year, too. So here is the Freshman Year assignments for sewing, if you’d like to participate with fabric:
1. Drawstring Bag or set of bags, depending on size
2. Set of 4 Placemats (these do not have to include quilting, but of course you can quilt them if you’d like to)
3. Seasonal Wall Hanging (including some quilting)
Individual photos of each of the three assignments must be uploaded to our Loopy Photo Gallery on our website by the end of the semester, in order to get credit for finishing. In this case, December 31, 2015.
Yarn and fabric for all Loopy Academy projects needs to be purchased from The Loopy Ewe during the semester in which you’re participating, but they don’t need to all be purchased at the same time. For this semester that means purchases September 2, 2015 through December of this year.
Q: I am new to Loopy Academy. Can I start with this Sophomore First Semester or do I have to go in order?
A: You don’t have to go in order. You can start in with Sophomore First, or you can go back and start with Freshman First, or you can do Freshman Second. It’s totally up to you. Any time you do complete both semesters of a year (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) you earn a fun prize from us.
Q: What if I want to do more than one semester at the same time?
A: You can do that as well (you over-achiever, you)!
Q: I completed one project assignment last fall and then got busy with other stuff. Can I finish the other two this semester and have it marked complete?
A: To get a complete for the semester, all of the projects need to be done in the same semester, with yarn or fabric purchased during that semester. Getting them done during the 4 month semester time period is part of the challenge, just like school. If you don’t finish a semester, you need to start over with new yarn and new projects. (Luckily there is no limit to the number of re-do’s you’re allowed!)
Q: I am going to do this semester, but then I’m busy in the spring and won’t be able to do Loopy Academy again until a year from now. Do you have to do it every semester?
A: Nope. You can hop in and hop out as it works with your schedule. We’ll keep track of which semesters you have completed so we know when we owe you prizes.
Q: Is there a way to participate using my stash yarn or stash fabric?
A: For Loopy Academy, we do require you to purchase the project yarn/fabric from us during the semester you’re completing.
Q. I need more pattern ideas. Where can I get them?
A. Log onto Ravelry and pop over to the Loopy Groupies. We have started new threads for LA Freshman Yarn, LA Sophomore Yarn, and LA Freshman Fabric so you can talk about what you’re thinking and get some new ideas!
We do want to award a Loopy Scholarship for this semester! Leave a comment and let us know the first project you’re going to work on this semester, and we’ll draw a name next week to win a $50 Loopy Scholarship. (The $50 credit will go into your Loopy account and can be used any time, on any purchase. It doesn’t have to be related to Loopy Academy projects.)
Pick a new sale bag, get your yarn or fabric, and hop into Loopy Academy with both feet this fall. We can’t wait to knit along with you and see your finished projects by the end of the semester!
Sheri and The Loopy Ewe Crew