Yep, that means this blog post is covering the blog for the next three blogging days! Just popping in to give you a few bits of information.
1. If you haven’t put your Camp order in yet, be sure to get it in by Sunday evening to get the Camp discount.
2. Because so many of you HAVE already gotten orders in, we’re a little backed up in shipping! Your orders will take an extra day or two to ship due to the volume that we’re packing up, but rest assured that the Elves are rockin’ it. They’re awesome.
3. To add an order note requesting the Camp discount: after you put payment through, you are brought back to a page that gives you your order number and gives you a link to leave an order note. If you miss that, you can always go into your Loopy account and click on that order number to leave a note from there as well.
4. I will be away from the blog on Friday and Monday, but I will be back here to chat with you on Wednesday of next week, and will also announce our First Quarter Challenge winners on that post. Thanks for voting!
5. Just to give us an extra bit of time to get these Camp Orders shipped off, we won’t be doing a Monday Update next week. We will definitely have an Update on Monday the 27th (Memorial Day). Our back room is overflowing with cases of yarn waiting to go up on the website. We can’t take more than one week off from Updates, or Rebecca (Inventory Manager) will disappear amongst the boxes, never to be seen again. And I didn’t tell her that we have about 20-30 more cases of fun stuff due in over the next 7-10 days. No sense freaking her out …. (Hi, Rebecca!) 🙂
It’s that time again – time to be a camper at Camp Loopy this summer! This is our third year hosting you all for Camp, and we anticipate a great summer of knitting and fun.
How does it work? First of all, there is no travel involved. This is Virtual Camp! That also means no bugs, no musty tents to sleep in, no campfire smoke in your eyes, and no blisters from hiking up the mountain. Just lots of knitting, meeting new friends, contests, challenges, and fun!
We will be knitting a different challenge project each month, for the next 3 months. You can choose to knit for one month, two months, or all three months. There are prizes for completing your projects on time and an extra bonus for doing all three. I know quite a few of you have mentioned that your Camp Loopy knitting will be used for holiday gifts, which is a great way to get a jump-start on those projects.
Here is our schedule:
Project One: needs to be knit or crocheted between 6/1 and 6/30 (with a photo of the completed project uploaded to our Project One Photo Gallery by 7/1).
The Challenge for Project One – We’re starting out with a one-skein project, using a yarn that you have not used before. You can use a single skein of Lace weight or a single skein of Fingering weight yarn, and your project must use at least 375 yards of the skein, so make sure the skein you’re buying has at least 375 yards in it.
Project Two: needs to be knit or crocheted between 7/1 and 7/31 (photo uploaded by 8/1).
Challenge Two details coming in June!
Project Three: needs to be knit or crocheted between 8/1 and 8/31 (photo uploaded by 9/1).
Challenge Three details coming in July!
International knitters/crocheters: Since we started the Camp Loopy Store Week earlier this year, we don’t anticipate that you’ll need extra time on the deadlines. Hopefully your packages will get to you in plenty of time to start on the Project One dates with everyone else. But don’t delay in ordering – get it in as soon as you can.
1. If you need to purchase yarn for your project, we are offering a 20% Camp Loopy discount for the yarn during a designated “Camp Loopy Store Week” each month.The first discount, for Project One, is valid on one skein of fingering or lace weight yarn purchased during Camp Store Week One (May 13-19).To get the discount, you will need to leave us an order note on the order, telling us which skein of yarn will be used for your Camp Project. We’ll apply the discount when your order comes through to us. If you’re going for free shipping in the U.S., please make sure that your discount won’t take you below the $75 level, or the website will add the shipping charge back in after we do the discount.
2. If you have your photo uploaded to the Camp Loopy 2013 Project One Photo Gallery by the deadline, you’ll be eligible to win one of our Loopy Gift Certificates for that month. We’ll be having the blog readers vote for the Reader’s Choice Award each month, and we’ll also be using the random generator to pick a few more winners for Loopy Gift Certificates as well from each month’s gallery!
3. If you choose to do all three projects with us (photos uploaded by the deadlines and yarn for each project purchased during Camp Store Week for that project) we will also be awarding you a special skein of fingering weight yarn, in an exclusive Camp Loopy Colorway. (We will have 3 different exclusive Camp colors for you to choose from, so that you can pick your favorite.) This luscious skein will be perfect for socks, shawls, scarves, cowls, or mitts. We love this yarn base, and I know you will love it, too.
So if you participate in all three months of Camp and follow the guidelines, you’ll get 3 projects done at a discount, you’ll no doubt earn one or more Frequent Shopper Bonuses and maybe some extra things through our Loopy Rewards Program, and you’ll get a special skein of exclusively dyed fingering weight yarn for yet another project. Cool!
Now – here are the answers to your Frequently Asked Questions about Camp Loopy:
Q. You say this first project needs to be a yarn we’ve not used before. I’ve used Dream in Color Smooshy before but have never used Dream in Color’s Smooshy with Cashmere. Would that count?
A. Yes, that counts. It can be a company you’ve used before, as long as you’ll be using a base from that company that you’ve not used before.
Q. I’ve used a yarn that is 80% Merino, 10% Cashmere and 10% Nylon from Three Irish Girls before, but I haven’t used that same 80/10/10 base from Dragonfly Djinni. Can I use Djinni and have it count as “new to me”?
A. Yes, that counts. It can be a base (like 100% merino, or 80/10/10) that you’ve used before, but it needs to be a company/base combo that is new to you.
Q. I have picked out a fingering weight pattern that will take 700 yards, so I will need to purchase 2 skeins for this project. Is that ok?
A. You’ll want to pick a pattern that works with one skein of yarn, instead. Or find a laceweight project, since many of our laceweight skeins have higher yardage per skein.
Q. Can we participate with weaving instead of knitting or crochet?
A. For Camp Loopy, we’re sticking with knitting or crochet.
Q. I didn’t get to order during Camp Store Week, but if I order my project yarn later in that same month and complete the project by the deadline, does that still count, even though I know I don’t get the Camp Loopy discount?
A. Yes! Make sure that you add a “Camp Loopy” note to your order, so that we know you’re participating. You’ll still be eligible for the project drawings and prizes for that month, and if you finish all three projects by the deadlines, you’ll still get the bonus – a free skein of that luscious yarn, exclusively dyed.
Q. I want to participate using yarn from my stash. Does that still count?
A. You are welcome to participate and knit from stash and upload it to the gallery, as long as it’s yarn that we carry at The Loopy Ewe. (We always require projects in our Photo Galleries to be from yarn that we carry at TLE.) You will still be eligible for drawings and prizes for the month, but you won’t be eligible for the free yarn at the end.
Q. When you say to knit the project between 6/1 and 6/30, when EXACTLY does the timing start?
A. You can start at 12:01 am your time on 6/1 if you’d like, although a good night’s sleep and a good breakfast might be a better idea. The project needs to be done by 11:59 pm on 6/30, your time. The photos need to be uploaded by 11:59 pm OUR time (Mountain Time) on 7/1.
Q. Should we be starting a new Camp Loopy Group on Ravelry?
A. No. Since it’s an activity through The Loopy Ewe, I’d like to keep it as a part of our regular Loopy Groupies group. However, you’ll see Camp Loopy threads popping up on the Loopy Groupie board, based on different activities each month. For the first month, we’ll be splitting you up by Hiking Groups, and each group will be hiking a different mountain. Look for the starred mountain on the drawing on your Camp Loopy order sheet to see which group you’re in. (Note – this is totally for fun, and for those of you who want to chat in Camp Groups on the Loopy Groupie board. If that’s not your thing, you can stay out of the hiking groups and just knit! But … I’ll bet you will meet a new friend or two if you participate in the chats!)
Q. When you specify yardage in a project, can I use up the yardage by knitting double stranded? So if you say we must use 375 yards, can I do a 187.5 yard project, holding the yarn double? That would use 375 yards.
A. No. No doubling the yarn to get the yardage. If you’d like to knit something double stranded, you’ll need to use 750 yards so that you end up with a 375 yard project when it’s done.
Q. How do I know if I’m on track for the free yarn bonus, and when will I get it?
A. If you purchased your project yarn during Camp Store Week (or later that same project month) and uploaded your photo by the deadline, then you are on track. Once Camp is over and the yarn is ready, we’ll send you a notice to let you choose your camp colorway. You will have the option of having your bonus yarn added in the box with your next order from us, or you can choose to have it sent to you right away on its own and we’ll just add a shipping charge to that.
Q. Why do we have to purchase the yarn during Camp Store Week each month, if we want the bonus?
A. Two reasons. One – it costs us money to fund this (the contests, the extras, the free yarn at the end) and your purchases help us to be able to afford to do this. Two – it helps us to guarantee that everyone is knitting for the project during the designated time and not simply pulling a finished (or half finished) project out of their pile and saying they did it “for camp”. It keeps an even playing field for all of the people earning the bonuses.
Q. Will we have the chance to buy t-shirts with the Camp Loopy logo, like we did last year?
A. Yes! They’re on order and we’ll put them up on the website as soon as they arrive. And maybe a couple of other fun campy things, too. The first Camp Loopy extra is up on the website now – a drawstring project bag that’s a real hoot.
In addition to getting projects done along with discounts and free yarn rewards, another part of the fun is talking to fellow campers on the Loopy Groupie Board on Ravelry. We will set up chat groups each month during Camp, based on a different criteria each time. For this first month, we’re dividing you into Hiking Groups, based on which mountain you will be climbing. (Mt. Loopious, Mt. Fiberopolis, Mt. Knitsalot, Mt. Tinknomore, and Mt. Kaytwopeatwo.) Look for the starred mountain on your Camp Loopy order form. If you’re knitting your camp project from stash, feel free to choose one of the groups on your own. Jump into the discussion and share which project you’re going to make and what yarn you’re using, then report on your progress during the month. You’ll make new friends each month, because we’ll have another way to group you for the next month! (Not on Ravelry? No worries. Participating in the groups is not required. We just add those in for extra fun.)
We’re so looking forward to camping with you again this summer, and we have lots of fun things planned. Grab your hiking boots and your project bag, and get ready to roll! (Need a new project bag? We had some special owl bags done up for Camp Loopy!)
We have a lot of fun with our Quarterly Challenges each year. Be sure to take a look at the projects completed last year in the challenges for First Quarter, Second Quarter, and Fourth Quarter. (During the summer we do Camp Loopy instead, which involves a monthly challenge for 3 months in a row. You can find those photo galleries here, here and here. Lots of beautiful projects in there!)
Before I announce the First Quarter Challenge for 2013, we need to vote on a Reader’s Choice award for our Fourth Quarter participants. Take a look at the Fourth Quarter gallery and email us your favorite project (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’ll announce the winners soon. Thanks for your voting help!
Our first challenge project for 2013 involves 1 skein of yarn and cables. You’ll need to pick a one-skein project that features cables in the design. You can use any weight of yarn, but just a single skein. You might consider Hats, Cowls, Socks, Shawls, or Mittens/Mitts/Gloves. One of my favorite cable projects was my Camp Loopy 2011 mittens (All the Water by Through the Loops, shown above.) At that time, I mentioned wanting to make a pair of red mittens, and a pair of yellow mittens, too. Of course I haven’t done that yet, so maybe now is my time. Although I could use a new cabled hat, too. And I saw some really cool sock patterns with cables. Choices, choices.
– The challenge runs from today through March 31st. All projects must be done and photos uploaded to our First Quarter Challenge 2013 Gallery by 3/31.
– If you’d like to order yarn for this project, you can get 20% off of the skein you choose to work with. This discount is available between now and next Friday, January 11th. You must leave us an order note, letting us know which skein you will be using for the project so we know which one to apply your discount to.
– If you purchase this project yarn between today and 1/11 and finish your cable project and upload a photo of it by 3/31, we will double your Frequent Shopper points for that skein. So if your skein is $18.50 after discount, you will see 18.50 added to your point tally when we ship the yarn, and another 18.50 added to your point tally when we have received your completed photo (by 3/31). With our new Loopy Rewards Program, the extra points accumulate to earn you even more rewards!
– You are also welcome to participate using stash yarn, as long as it’s a line that we carry here at The Loopy Ewe. You won’t be eligible for the double Frequent Shopper points, but if you finish in time and upload your photo to the gallery, you’re still eligible to win a Reader’s Choice award or our random drawing done with all entrants.
Do you need some pattern suggestions for one-skein cable projects? I’ve started a list for you! If you have other ideas, please feel free to leave them in the comments below.
I’m not a big fan of novelty yarn. In fact, there is really only one that I remember liking in the past. I bought it in a yarn shop on vacation one time. It was soft and fluffy and made the most wonderful scarf! I liked it so much that I emailed the yarn shop where I had purchased it to ask if I could get more. They never answered me. The good news is that I have found something similar from Prism, along with a pattern for using it as edging on cowls, mitts and hats. I wish you could feel this! When our Prism rep came wearing the cowl last winter, we all loved it and wanted one. So tonight, we finally have the yarn ready. These would make great (quick) gifts. I did the mitts in one evening and the cowl in a second night. Now I’m contemplating all of the other color options to see which one to make next. (Shown here in Smoke.)
Click on the photo to see the yarn up close. This Merino 12 has to be one of the nicest yarns I’ve used in a bulky weight. It’s twist gives great stitch definition. I think it would be great for quick scarves and hats, and wonderful for a sweater. (Or how about a Chickadee Cowl?)
You can make a cowl plus mitts with 2 skeins of Plume (the fluffy stuff) and one skein of Merino 12. If you want to also make the hat that comes in the pattern, you’ll want to add in another skein of each. If you order Plume plus some Merino 12 and would like the pattern, we’d be happy to include it for free with your purchase. Just leave us an order note telling us that you’d like it included. I have plans to make some more of these for gifts. The colors are gorgeous, as is always the case with Prism dyeing.
Here they are in Shadow, Denim, Mink and Antique.
And then in Woodlands, Smoke, Thunderclap and Mocha.
But those aren’t the only fun sets that we have up at The Loopy Ewe tonight. We’ve also added in Loopy Cakes, which are 100+ yd. mini cake sets from our semi-solid series. You know how quilters have Fat Quarters – small pieces of fabric in many different designs? We thought that knitters ought to have the same chance at building a palette of pretty colors, too. In tonight’s update, we have these different sets for you:
We also added re-stocked more colors in Team Spirit, added some new Zauberball colors, put up the Romney Ridge 2013 calendars (Loopy Groupies – you get one for free with your first order in November – our gift to you!), The Fibre Company Patterns, and our Camp Loopy Bonus Yarn extras (shown here in Take a Hike), for those of you who didn’t get to earn a skein for free from Camp Loopy this past summer. These were done in the Dream in Color Smooshy with Cashmere base and it’s 400 yards of lusciousness. The bonus yarn colors are: Watering Hole, Take a Hike, and Sleeping Under the Stars. All of our Camp Loopy yarn offerings are exclusive to The Loopy Ewe. Get them while they last!