Have you tried adding beads to a yarn project? One of the challenges this month for Camp Loopy is to mix materials, and one of the options is knitting with beads. I love beads, so that’s the challenge that I’m doing!
Why add beads to yarn projects?
– Beads add a bit of sparkle and pop
– They also add a nice bit of weight to the hemline or body
– Beading breaks up all of the knitting and adds fun to your knitting time
– It’s easy to do and something different
I’m working on Knit Night by Inspiration Knits with a skein of Dream in Color Smooshy with Cashmere in Exploration Station. (We sold out of that Camp color, but we have ordered more.)
The pattern is an interesting (and very easy) construction and not one that I’ve done before. This would make a really fun gift for those on your gifting list, with or without beads added to it. However, knitting with beads is a good skill to add to your list and it adds a little extra to the finished gift. Here is my progress so far.
How do you knit with beads? Here is the way I do it:
First, add your bead to a tiny crochet hook.
Second, put the next stitch on your left hand needle, onto the hook.
Third, slide the bead down over the two legs of the stitch.
Next, put the stitch back on the left needle.
Last, knit (or slip – whatever the pattern calls for) as a normal stitch.
Need some yarn and bead ideas?
- After Hours/6-1020, Lafayette/6-135S, She Walks in Beauty/6-222
- Kiss Me Kate B/6-1026, La Luz/6-1006, Uptown Electric/6-152
- Crocus Hocus Pocus/6-4210, Anything Goes/6-1008, Icy Colorado Winter/6-413R
Here are some with Uschitita Merino Singles:
- Cosmopolitan/6-414R, Cloud Atlas/6-148S, Eyes Wide Shut/6-1884
- Sugared Violets/6-1446, Canyon/6-1008, Moccachino/6-1255
- Galaxy/6-275, Fern/6-2405, Lullaby/6-26F
Here are some other patterns to check out:
We’re always happy to match beads for you. Just order a tube with your yarn order and leave us a note that you’d like us to pick the best match for your yarn. We’ll check to see if there might be a better option for you.
How About You?
Have you used beads in your knitting projects? Do you like it? Do you have other favorite patterns that call for beads? I’d love to hear your experience!
Hope you all have a great weekend!