What is Loopy Academy? It’s a program we started in 2014 to help knitters learn new things through semester challenges. Each year is meant to build upon the last year, although you are welcome to jump in and start with any year or semester that you’d like. You might find some assignments that are outside your comfort zone – but that’s one of the great things about Loopy Academy. You get to stretch and try things you may not have done before!
Here’s how it works:
- Purchase your yarn or fabric supplies from The Loopy Ewe, any time today (September 5) through the end of this calendar year for the semester you are doing this fall. You don’t have to purchase all three project supplies at once, and you don’t have to officially sign up. But do leave us an order note on your order for Loopy Academy, so we know you’re one of our students this semester!
- Start and finish all three challenges for the semester between 9/5/17 and 12/31/17 and upload pictures of them to our Loopy Academy photo galleries on our website by 12/31/17.
- When you have successfully finished both semesters of a particular year (Freshman or Sophomore or Junior or Senior), you will be awarded a finishing prize at the end!
Today we are sharing new challenges for Senior Year Semester One for Yarn (woohoo!!) and Junior Year Semester One for Fabric. You will find all of the previous semester challenges HERE, if you are working on a different semester, or starting at the beginning.
Senior Year Semester One Yarn (yardage requirement: 275 yds. or more, per project)
- An asymmetrical project (uneven hemlines or uneven edges, or something else that makes it asymmetrical) – Lots of options here.
- A project that contains some entrelac – Lots of options here, free patterns and instruction here, and helpful video here
- A project knit from one or more charts – Lots of options here, helpful instructions here
Junior Year Semester One Fabric (yardage requirement: 3 yds. or more, for projects # 2 and 3, 1.5 yds. for project 1)
- A bag with pockets and straps
- A project with appliqué included in it
- A project with hexies or Dresden Plate pieces included in it
Q: I am new to Loopy Academy. Can I start with this Senior Year First Semester or do I have to go in order?
A: You don’t have to go in order. You can do any semester you want to. It’s totally up to you. Any time you do complete both semesters of a year (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) you earn a fun prize from us.
Q: What if I want to do more than one semester at the same time?
A: You can do that as well!
Q: I completed one of the three project assignments last spring and then got busy with other stuff. Can I finish the other two this semester and have it marked complete?
A: To get a complete for the semester, all of the projects need to be done in the same semester, with yarn or fabric purchased during that semester. Getting them done during the 4 month semester time period is part of the challenge, just like school. If you don’t finish a semester, you need to start over with new yarn and new projects. (Luckily there is no limit to the number of do-overs you’re allowed!)
Q: I am going to do this semester, but then I’m busy in the spring and won’t be able to do Loopy Academy again until a year from now. Do you have to do it every semester?
A: Nope. You can hop in and hop out as it works with your schedule. We’ll keep track of which semesters you have completed so we know when we owe you prizes.
Q: Is there a way to participate using my stash yarn or stash fabric?
A: For Loopy Academy, we do require you to purchase the project yarn/fabric from us during the semester you’re completing.
Q. I need more pattern ideas. Where can I get them?
A. Log onto Ravelry and pop over to the Loopy Groupies. We have started new threads for Loopy Academy Yarn and Loopy Academy Fabric so you can talk about what you’re thinking and get some new ideas.
We can’t wait to see what you do with the challenges this semester!
Sheri and The Loopy Ewe Crew
P.S. Not into Loopy Academy? We started another new challenge program for the fall and posted details in yesterday’s blog. Learn all about The Great Loopy Knitting Challenge and The Great Loopy Sewing Challenge by clicking here. (Yes, you can probably combine some of the projects from both GLKC or GLSC and Loopy Academy if you’d like to double dip!)